Saturday 10 July 2010

It Was Greek To Me...

"Could you tell me what the 'Big Beans' are please?"

"Ummmm.. They are Big Beans. In a tomato sauce."

" Oh ok, thanks."

He kindly brought me two beans (big ones) to try.


For a bit of soul restoration, a change of scenery can work wonders. I (along with my hubbie) spent last week on the northern tip of Corfu, a Greek island in the Ionian Sea, in a small apartment in the fishing village of Kassiopi.

How refreshing to amble down a main street and your eyes not meet the McDonald’s logo, or ASDA (Walmart). Instead you pass Agathi’s where Agathi herself is knitting in her chair, her handiwork draped and stacked and hung all around and her loom over in the corner. The loom is put to work in the cool and wet winter months. For now Agathi’s hands are moving like fire and on this day she is knitting baby booties (Glimpse into the future CL?).



For a treat to our taste buds we did some internet research and sought out recommended eateries. Quite of few of the restaurants and tavernas presented you with a little appetizer on the house after you took your seats. One of the most memorable was at Vitamins Taverna in Nissaki, where along with bread they served an olive pate of sorts. Neither of us are enthusiastic olive poppers but this dip was very persuasive and a helping hand across the bridge to olive adoration. I asked what the ingredients were, and with a reluctance our waitress (one of the daughters of the family owner) said a blend of dark purple olives, sundried tomatoes, garlic and little vinegar (although I’m sure I could taste a little wine). This one will really test my el cheap-o handheld immersion blender.

Although in Greece we did try our local Italian restaurant, just around the corner from our apartment. It was an absolute delight. Having only been open for 5 weeks, the chef Rocco and his English partner Hilary, welcomed us with open arms carrying homemade bread, aioli and chopped tomatoes with garlic. Quickly we learned of their worry that their first weeks in business hadn’t resulted in the numbers of customers they had expected. It could be due to fewer tourists as a result of the economic climate or maybe because their status as new kids in town just might mean it takes time to establish their reputation. Either way, they sincerely deserve to be successful, because Rocco’s food was simply beautiful and their hospitality as warm as their pizza oven.

Here are few photos of the plant life in Corfu.

This one was taken near the highest point in Corfu - Mount Pantokrator.



Lemon trees near our apartment.
A few others which to me were eye candy.



Herete!

xx Laura

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm so glad you were able to witness my future retirement in Corfu ;) I love your words. I can hear the refreshment in them. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photography moves me the same way Corrie's poetry moves me. I well up with emotion and burst forth hot tears! They literally spring from my eyes! What more, the subjects you love are easily translatable--nothing is lost from eye, to lens, to computer, to me. I can see it as if you were seeing it, and in seeing it, were in love with such magnificent yet simple splendor as a flower seeking the sun.
    I just love you girls.

    ReplyDelete